Incarnation Parish was established in 1927 by Archbishop John J. Cantwell to serve the people of God in northwest Glendale. The parish was carved from the existing Holy Family Parish and included the region between Doran Street on the south, the Verdugo Hills in the north, Verdugo Road on the east and Grandview on the west.
The Albert Canfield home, which was on the site of the current church, became the first church of the parish. The home had a small chapel and also served as the rectory for the first pastor, Fr. Emmett Francis Panner . The first Mass was celebrated there on October 30, 1927.
In this rapidly growing area, there were nearly 250 families in the infant parish. It was soon evident that the little chapel in the Albert Canfield home was too small to accommodate the Sunday congregation. Arrangements were made to use the newly constructed American Legion Hall at 343 West Arden for Sunday Masses.
Fr. Thomas O'Sullivan , who became pastor on October 1928, had the first real church building erected on the current property. It was a simple frame building, often referred to as "the hall" and faced Central Avenue. The first Mass was offered in the temporary church on December 23, 1928. The modest rectory, a combination of two small houses, was located on Central Avenue, north of the church. It cost approximately $10,000 to build and was used for ten years and afterwards for many years as the parish hall. In May 1929, Fr. Timothy J. Lynch was appointed Pastor. He served for two years.
The Canfield Home
The First Church
Fr. Emmett Francis Panner
The First Pastor
The American Legion Post on Arden
Rev. Timothy Lynch